Your survival guide to living in Pattaya Beach

Thailand Visa Types, what type of Visa should you get

30 Day Visa on arrival Stamp

Most people can get a 30 day permission to stay stamp when they enter Thailand at any of the international airports in Thailand. You must be able to show means of being able to leave Thailand within that 30 days such as a confirmed onward or return air ticket, see note below. Simply telling them you could travel out of the country by bus or car won't work. The so called visa runs are no longer allowed as they were before. If you try to re-enter on the same day you exited you will more than likely be refused entry into Thailand. The rules frequently change with regards to visa runs.

Thai immigration will almost never ask you to verify your return or onward air ticket because the airline will always check before you are allowed to board. This sometimes gives people the impression they can get away with trying to come to Thailand on a oneway tickett without a visa.

Travelers from the following countries can obtain this 30 day permission to stay at the airport.

Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Macau, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland, USA, and Vietnam.

Sixty day tourist visa

Non Immigrant type 'O' visa single and multiple entry types

Retirement extension,,,, this is the one to get for extended stay

The new 10 year Thailand retirement visa extension.  Beginning August 11, 2017

Sixty day tourist visa is good for one entry, upon entering you will receive sixty days. At the end of that sixty days you can apply for a thirty day extension at any immigration post, this will give you another 30 days for a total of 90 days.  This type of visa is applied for outside of Thailand at any Thai Embassy usually in your home country before comming to Thailand.

The non-immigrant type “O” visa is available as either a single entry, for a 90 day stay, or as a multiple entry, 12 month visa.

The single entry “O” visa allows you to spend up to 90 days within Thailand, And that can be extended for an additional 30 days for a fee of 1,900 Baht at the immigration office, thereby giving you a total of 4 months. After that you could exit and re-enter Thailand for a 30 day stamp at a land crossing or 30 days at the airport. Or you could travel outside Thailand to obtain a tourist visa or nonimmigrant “O” visa.

The 12 month multiple entry type "O" visa allows you to leave and re-enter Thailand an unlimited number of times during that 12 month period. Every time you enter Thailand you will receive a stamp in your passport permitting you 90 days stay in Thailand. Also at your option this 90 day stamp can be extended for an additional 30 days at immigration for a fee of 1,900 Baht.   After that you will have to leave Thailand and re-enter to receive another 90 day stamp in your passport. There are many companies that can assist you with transport and visa requirements to the nearest border crossing to get a new 90 day stamp in your passport. These border run services as they are called, cost as little as 1,800 Baht up to around 2,500 Baht for the VIP treatment.  Everything is included such as the visa fee for the neighboring country, and some include breakfast and lunch.

A one year multi entry visa is good for one year, effectivly if you did a visa run just before the visa expires you could actually end up with  an additional 90 days making a total of 15 months stay. Furthermore after that last three months have run out you can still get an 30 day extension for 1,900 Baht at any immigration office.

Retirement visa is basically an
extension of the "O" visa, you are required to posses a valid "O" visa before you can apply for the retirement extension. to qualify you must be fifty years old or more. Have suitable income of 65,000 Baht per month or 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank for no less than 60 days the first time then for three months apon renewal or a combination of both. Some immigration offices can issue you an "O" visa and then give you a retirement extension all at the same time, if you qualify. After you receive your retirement visa you will be required to report your address every ninety days. Reporting your address is very easy and it only takes about five minutes at the immigration office. Below is a list of what you will need when applying for your retirement visa extension.

You will need the following when applying for your retirement visa.

With a retirement visa you are required to notify immigration every 90 days of your address. This is usually called 90 day reporting
  • You can do your 90 day address report up to 14 days prior to the 90 day date or within 7 days after. Bear in mind they count the first day as one which means you really have 6 days after. Be careful of holidays if you are waiting until the last minute, if your last day falls on a day immigration is closed, it is no excuse.  The fine for being late is 2,000 Baht and if you are arrested the fine is 4,000 Baht plus all the misery of being in a Thai jail.
  • You should do the address report in person I usually go a few days before the 90 day date. You are allowed to have a representative do the address report for you if you want. Also you have the option to do the address report by registered mail.
  • If you leave Thailand with a re-entry permit before the 90 days is up you do not have to worry about reporting. When you re-enter Thailand your 90 day reporting starts from the day you re-entered Thailand, provided you have a re-entry permit.
  • Renewing your retirement visa has nothing to do with the 90 day reporting, you are still required to do your 90 day report as scheduled.
  • Being in the hospital does not exempt you from reporting on time because you can elect a friend to report on your behalf.
  • Your Passport.
  • A filled out TM.7 Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom.
  • One passport size photo (can be done next door to the immigration office)
  • Copies of passport and copies of bank book (can also be done next door to the immigration office)
  • A letter from a Thai bank stating you have a bank account with them. If you are using your bank funds in Thailand.
  • Proof of income either one of the following
  • A bank balance of 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank for at least two months*, Or
  • A letter from your Embassy stating you have pension income of 65,000 Baht or more a month.
  • You can also use a combination of these two, such as 400,000 in bank and 35,000 in monthly pension.
  • Fee to be paid at time of applying 1,900 Baht (non refundable)


      *On the second year renewal your bank funds must be on deposit for at least 90 days

American Embassy

   American Embassy Website

   American Embassy outreach



British Embassy

   British Embassy Website

American Outreach Dates;

UDON THANI: March 2018

PHUKET: March 2018

PATTAYA: June 2018

     The new 10 year Thailand retirement visa was first proposed in November of 2016 and has recently been approved by the Prime Minister of Thailand as a way to promote Thailand as a medical and wellness hub, for retirees. This Visa requires more money on deposit in a Thai bank than the one year retirement visa does. Also holders of this visa must keep adequate health insurance throughout the term, and undergo a criminal background check. The 90 day address reporting will still be required. The new10 year visa is good for 5 years and can then be renewed for another 5 years. This visa allows for a person to exit and return as many times as they want. This visa does not allow for employment inside of Thailand.

  • To be eligible you must be at least 50 years old.
  • A deposit of at least 3 million baht in a Thai bank.
  • Or a combination of 1. 8 million Baht in a Thailand bank and a pension income of at least 1.2 million Baht.
  • The money on deposit must be kept in the account for at least one year.
  • You will need to provide a criminal background check from your home country.
  • You must maintain health insurance by a Thailand insurance company, outpatient coverage at a minimum of 40,000 Baht, and Inpatient coverage at a minimum of 100,000 Baht.
  • You are not permitted to work in Thailand.
  • 90 day address reporting will still be required.
  • This visa is issued for two 5 year periods.
  • A non refundable fee of 10,000 Baht must be submitted at time of application.

Here is a list of the 14 nationalities eligible to apply.

The United States of America, Canada, The United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden, Northern Ireland and Japan

Do not ever overstay your visa

At all cost do not overstay your visa. If you are caught by immigration even for one day overstay you will be jailed. Jails or detention centers in Thailand are horrific places. If you can imagine your worst day ever in your life, Thai jails and prisons are much worse, even for one day. Then take that worst day ever and multiply it by weeks , months or even years.

The Jails and detention centers are firstly way overcrowded, which makes the place stink to high heaven. There are no beds to sleep in you are sleeping shoulder to shoulder with the other inmates, your pillow is from what ever piece of clothing you came in with. The food is horrible at best and is not at all nutritious, so over time your health will go down hill. Most of the time you are crowded into a room with nothing to do.  My visit to the Suan Phlu detention center in Bangkok.

Still need help with your visa, you may want to consider using a visa service.

All photography and web design by Russ Thorne

Copyright 2009-2019 Pattaya Retired dot Com